I’ve been a chef for 30 years and one piece of equipment that I’ll never buy is a commercial ice machine. by Robert Irvine
Top 10 reasons Not to buy a commercial ice maker:
1. Purchase price is expensive.
When I spend money on new equipment, it better be something that can actually improve my customers’ experience. An ice maker doesn’t enhance the customer’s experience — ice is just ice!
2. Buying a commercial ice machine is simply not a good business decision.
Every little decision you make operating your restaurant needs to be smart and thoughtful.
3. Maintaining a commercial ice maker properly requires an expert.
No one on my staff is an ice machine expert. I don’t have time to fuss around making sure the ice machine is properly maintained!
4. Repairs are expensive and unpredictable.
It’s just not worth it!
5. Running successful, busy restaurants can be stressful.
Why would I want the added stress of being responsible for an ice machine?
6. Loss of productivity while fussing with ice machine issues.
I don’t want to have to send an employee out to buy bagged ice every time the machine breaks. It’s a waste of time and productivity!
7. I can’t charge more for ice, but I have to have it.
Why would I invest a large chunk of capital on something that I can’t charge more for and doesn’t add value? It’s a no-brainer to leave ice to the experts!
8. Deep cleaning a commercial ice machine requires a lot more than wiping down surfaces and emptying the bin.
Ice machines are complicated with lots of moving parts that need attention during a cleaning. If you want to pass your health inspection, you better have a clean ice machine!
9. Unpredictable costs can be the downfall of any business.
Did you know that in just one night at a busy restaurant you could spend $500 just on replacement bagged ice if the ice maker’s broken?