- This event has passed.
James Beard Foundation Food Conference 2016: Now Trending: The Making of a Food Movement
October 17, 2016 @ 8:00 am - October 18, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
At the 2016 James Beard Foundation Food Conference, Now Trending: The Making of a Food Movement, we’ll engage with experts from across disciplines to explore the genesis and lifecycle of trends and apply that knowledge to food-system issues. We’ll draw on the experience of other trend-focused industries, such as technology, fashion, and design, to understand why some trends last and others fizzle.
Using food waste and other issues that are now trending, we’ll unpack the way interest and enthusiasm for a topic build to become a widespread concern, an impetus for behavior change, a business imperative, and ultimately a social movement–not necessarily in that order. We’ll explore lessons and best practices from the field of trend forecasting, before engaging with you on the food issues you care most about.
As always, the JBF Food Conference will convene a group of experts and professionals from a wide range of backgrounds—yourself included—to provided the expertise and encouragement you need to turn your passion into the next big thing.
- Mitch Baranowski, Creative Director, Brand Marketer, Entrepreneur
- Mario Batali, Chef-Owner, B&B Hospitality Group
- Adam Gopnik, Staff Writer, The New Yorker
- Tim Gunn, Educator, Author, Fashion Therapist, Project Runway Mentor
- Tamar Haspel, Journalist, Washington Post
- Jamer Hunt, Associate Professor of Transdisciplinary Design, Parsons School of Design
- Madhur Jaffrey, Actress and Cookbook Author
- Sam Kass, Food Entrepreneur, Former White House Chef and Obama Administration Senior Policy Advisor for Nutrition
- Ashindi Maxton, Director of Political Partnerships, SEIU International – Free Speech TV
- Simran Sethi, Journalist, Educator, and Author of Bread, Wine, Chocolate
- James Truman, Former Editorial Director of Condé Nast, Owner Nix Restaurant
- Paco Underhill, CEO & Founder, Envirosell, Author of Why We Buy, Call of the Mall, and What Women Want.
- Evan Wolfson, Founder & President, Freedom to Marry
Miss any of the 2015 JBF Food Conference? Catch up on the action through our livestream archive.
To receive more information and updates, join the JBF Food Conference mailing list.
Business Casual Attire