The Annual Benefit Raised Nearly $1,000,000 For Culinary Scholarships and Educational Programs
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017, Chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern and Untitled and Studio Café at the Whitney Museum of American Art was honored in front of 700 guests at the 18th annual Careers through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP) Benefit. Anthony was presented with the C-CAP Honors Award and was recognized for his achievements and contributions to the culinary industry as well as his commitment to nurturing the next generation of chefs.
This Grand Tasting raised nearly $1,000,000 to support scholarships as well as educational and career opportunities for disadvantaged youth pursuing careers in the restaurant and foodservice industry. The event showcased cuisine from an all-star lineup of New York City’s hottest chefs and restaurateurs, including Michael Anthony, C-CAP Board Co-Chair and chef Marcus Samuelsson, C-CAP Board Member and restaurateur Michael Stillman, 2016 Michelin Star Chefs, Abram Bissell, Daniel Boulud and Aaron Bludorn, John Fraser, Markus Glocker, Alfred Portale, Michael White; and Javi Estévez of La Tasquería de Javier Estévez (Madrid); as well as C-CAP alumni Giovanna Delli Compagni of Asiate, Cesar Gutierrez of Café Boulud, Betty Peña of Pig and Khao, Swainson Brown of The Writing Room, and Yvan Lemoine of Union Fare. More than 60 New York City C-CAP high school students and alumni, eager to put their mark on the culinary world, assisted the chefs.
Topping the savory dishes were Marcus Samuelsson’s Spiced salmon with apple dashi and chicken rice salad; Michael Anthony’s Citrus and burrata – citrus, burrata cheese, green olives, radicchio, on rice cracker; Duck liver mousse parfait, madeira gelée, brioche from Daniel Boulud, Aaron Bludorn, and C-CAP Grad Cesar Gutierrez; and Carla Hall’s Braised chili pork and plantains, cornbread, shaved radish salad. Guests with a sweet tooth enjoyed Miro Uskokovic’s Miro’s cookies and milk: triple chocolate chunk, oatmeal, prune rugelach; Sarabeth’s Triple chocolate-chocolate pudding; Wayne Harley Brachman’s Flourless chocolate tart with mocha cream, and Marc Aumont’s Chocolate éclair au chocolat.
WCBS-TV News Anchorman Maurice DuBois was the Master of Ceremonies. Marcus Samuelsson presented the C-CAP Honors Award, an original stainless steel sculpture by Philip Grausman, of a germinating fava bean, symbolizing C-CAP’s budding culinary students. Chefs all over the world know that there is a lot of delicate care and handling that goes into the preparation of fava beans, and C-CAP recognized the care and interest Chef Anthony has in the mentoring of C-CAP students.
The event also included a silent and live auction by Christie’s auctioneer Chloe Waddington and was coordinated by Harriet Rose Katz of Gourmet Advisory Services.
Careers through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP) is a non-profit that provides career opportunities in the foodservice industry for underserved youth through culinary arts education and employment.
- What: Careers through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP) Spring Benefit 2017
- Where: Pier 60, Chelsea Piers, New York City
- When: Wednesday, March 8, 2017
- Honoree: Michael Anthony, Executive Chef, Gramercy Tavern, Untitled, and Studio Café at the Whitney Museum of American Art
- Event Chair: Mark Weiss, Chief Investment Officer of RFR Holding LLC and C-CAP’s Board of Directors Co-Chair
- Chef Chair: Marcus Samuelsson, Chef and Owner of Red Rooster Harlem and Streetbird Rotisserie; C-CAP Board of Directors Co-Chair
- Press Contact: Joyce Appelman, C–CAP, Joyceappelman@gmail.com, C: 516-697-0319
- Philip DeMaiolo, Abigail Kirsch, 24 hour coriander and sea salt cured Atlantic salmon with sauce gribiche
- Jason Weiner and Alex Nieto, Almond, Lamb meatball moroccan style: ricotta salata, salsa verde
- Christian Pratsch, Giovanna Delli Compagni*, Daniel Coward*, Asiate, Hamachi: carrot panna cotta – yuzu gel – pink peppercorn
- Markus Glocker, Bâtard, Caramelle pasta, duck broth, scallions, ricotta
- Daniel Boulud, Aaron Bludorn, Cesar Gutierrez*, Café Boulud, Duck liver mousse parfait, madeira gelée, brioche
- Carla Hall, Carla Hall’s Southern Kitchen, Braised chili pork and plantains, cornbread, shaved radish salad
- Ivy Stark, Dos Caminos, Grilled pineapple and toasted coconut guacamole with pepino enchilito
- John Fraser, Dovetail, Baby beets and pomegranate salad, charred fennel, bulgur wheat
- Fortunato Nicotra, Felidia, Beef tagliata rossini with black truffle
- Alfred Portale, Gotham Bar and Grill, Sheep milk ricotta tortellini: braised lamb shank, butternut squash parmesan crema
- Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern/ Untitled, Citrus and burrata – citrus, burrata cheese, green olives, radicchio, on rice cracker
- Miro Uskokovic, Gramercy Tavern/Untitled, Miro’s cookies and milk: triple chocolate chunk / oatmeal / prune rugelach
- Manish Mehrotra, Indian Accent, Rice crusted bass, kerala, coconut curry
- Marc Aumont, Kreuther Handcrafted, Chocolate éclair au chocolat
- Missy Robbins, Lilia, Prosciutto, parmigiano butter, balsamic mustard served on bread
- Maria Loi, Loi Estiatorio, Htapodaki stin schara: grilled octopus with red wine-macerated onions, capers, fresh herbs, lemon, and olive oil
- Kyung Up Lim, Michael’s, Salmon tostada, avocado, puffed quinoa, black truffle aioli
- Abram Bissell, The Modern, “Eggs on eggs on eggs” trout roe, egg yolk, fried egg puree, dill and warm brioche
- Matt Hoyle, Nobu 57, Salmon tataki goma miso ponzu
- Bill Telepan, Oceana, Grilled swordfish with pickled lemon and black pepper yogurt
- Zene Flinn, Park Avenue Spring, Trout roe on Russian black bread with avocado purée and beet pickled shallots
- Leah Cohen, Betty Pena*, Pig & Khao, Khao soi with wonton noodles, mustard
- Michael Lomonaco, Wayne Harley Brachman, Daniel Rutledge, Porter House New York, Thai beef salad- chang mai and flourless chocolate tart with mocha cream
- Ryan Bartlow, Quality Eats, Grilled Nueske’s bacon, peanut butter, jalapeno jelly
- Sarabeth Levine, Sarabeth’s, Triple chocolate-chocolate pudding
- Ali LaRaia, The Sosta, Roasted radish with salsa verde and parmigiano reggiano crouton
- Marcus Samuelsson, Streetbird Rotisserie, Spiced salmon with apple dashi and chicken rice salad
- Javi Estévez, La Tasquería de Javier Estévez (Madrid), Madrid steak tartar
- David Burke, Tavern 62 by David Burke, Grilled zucchini with chili and parmesan
- Thomas Chen, Toume, Shrimp toast with wasabi aioli
- Yvan Lemoine*, Union Fare, Whole roast suckling pig, celery remoulade
- Carmen Quagliata, Union Square Café, Chicken tortelloni, Umbrian lentils, parmigiano
- Jonathan Kavourakis, Vandal , Shawarma salad cones (chicken, falafel croutons, hot sauce white sauce boss)
- Michael White, Jared Gadbaw, Vaucluse, Scallop crudo with black truffles
- Swainson Brown*, The Writing Room, Pastrami beef tongue with pickled apple and horseradish