Since our launch less than one year ago, the NYC Hospitality Alliance made reforming the Health Department's inspection system a top priority for our members! So instead of just complaining and being reactive, The Alliance brought together NYC's eating & drinking establishments and took a proactive, leadership role by working long and hard with Speaker Quinn, her staff and other Council Members on instituting meaningful reform.
Our efforts are coming to fruition…
We are proud to announce that this morning, The Alliance participated in a press conference to announce a package of legislation and rule changes agreed to by Speaker Quinn, The Mayor and Health Commissioner that will reduce Health Department inspection burdens on NYC restaurants without compromising public health.
The legislation and rule changes are scheduled to be passed this Fall and will reduce fines by over $10 million dollars, make inspections fairer,improve due process and will create a system for additional changes in the future.
The package of legislation includes the following measures:
- 15% reduction in fines, over $10 million dollars back in your pockets, bringing fines below where they were when letter grades started!
- Fine waiver for initial inspections receiving an A upon adjudication, an issue we fought for from day one
- Creation of an optional consultative, educational inspection program where no violations will be issued
- Creation of an ombuds office to receive and address comments, complaints, and compliments
- Creation of an inspection code of conduct
- Creation of an advisory board which the industry will be a part of to systematically review the restaurant inspection program, letter grades, the point system and make recommendations for improvement
- Increased and improved reporting of restaurant inspection data so we can finally prove that the majority of violations issued are for minor issues
- Relief for not previously cited violations relating to fixtures
The Alliance commends Speaker Quinn for her leadership and thanks the Mayor's Office, the Health Department and the Council for their cooperation in adopting many of the regulatory reforms suggested by The Alliance. The Alliance looks forward to the city's continued partnership and cooperation in reducing regulatory burdens on New York City's world famous hospitality industry.
No organization has worked harder for their members to reform the Health Department's inspection system than the NYC Hospitality Alliance. The Alliance makes change happen.
The Alliance thanks our members for their support. If you operate a restaurant, nightlife venue or hotel in NYC and are not already a member then today's announcement should really encourage you to support our efforts. Click here to join today!